Directed by Steve Barron
Produced by Raju Patel and Jeffrey Sneller
Animations and puppets by Jim Henson's Creature Workshop
Screenplay by Sherry Mills, Steve Barron, Tom Benedek and Barry
Berman, based on Carlo Collodi's novel.
First release 26 July 1996
Length 90 minutes
Filmed in and around Prague.
This film is based on the classic book of the same name, and
combines human actors, puppets and computer animation.
Brian May recorded two tracks exclusively for the film.
Colosso' is a lengthy, operatic piece, which is performed by
the puppets at Lorenzini's puppet show, at 41:05 into the film,
while a longer version appears on the soundtrack album. The
vocals are credited to 'Just William', but are in fact sung by
Brian, then speeded up. It also contains short excerpts of the
second track, 'What
Are We Made Of?'.
Are We Made Of?' only appears in the film as part of 'Il
Colosso', but the full track was released on the soundtrack
album. It is a strong ballad, sung by Brian and Norwegian singer
Sissel. It is also available on Sissel's compilation album 'The Best 1986-2006'.
Geppetto (Martin Landau)
Leonna (Genevieve Bujold)
Pinocchio (Jonathan Taylor-Thomas)
Mr Lorenzini (Udo Kier)
Bakers Wife (Dawn French)
Tino (Griff Rhys Jones)
Felinet (Bebe Neuwirth)
Volpe (Rob Schneider)
Pepe (David Doyle)
- Geppetto as a much younger man carves a love heart for
Leonna on a tree in a forest. A lightning strike hits the
- Years later, Geppetto is out collecting wood to burn. At
his home, Geppetto tries to burn the wood, but finds that
it won't light. He decides to carve a puppet from it, and
discovers his love heart carved years earlier. The new
puppet Pinocchio magically comes to life, and goes
wondering around Geppetto's home town.
- Two criminals, Felinet & Volpe, see Pinocchio, and
tell Mr Lorenzini, who runs a puppet show. Lorenzini
tries to get Geppetto to sell Pinocchio, but Geppetto
- Pinocchio follows a group of children on their way to
school. At school, he lies to the teacher and his nose
grows. He sneezes and is thrown out of the class.
- Pinocchio visits a bakery and eats lots of cakes. As a
result, Geppetto is arrested and Pinocchio runs away.
Pinocchio discovers Pepe, his conscience, and is
- At his trial, Geppetto is ordered to pay a fine of 30,000
lira, which he cannot pay. Mr Lorenzini intercepts,
offering to pay the fine in return for Pinocchio.
Geppetto reluctantly agrees.
- Pinocchio stars in Lorenzini's show, but ruins it when
the show involves burning Geppetto's puppets. The theatre
catches fire, Pinocchio runs away, and Geppetto and
Leonna look for him in the forest.
- Felinet and Volpe find Pinocchio in the forest, and steal
- Pinocchio meets his classmates who are on their way to an
amusement park 'for real boys', so Pinocchio goes with
- Geppetto finds Pinocchio's hat by a lake, so sails off in
a boat to look for him.
- At the park, the children drink from a fountain.
Lorenzini instructs his workers to sell some donkeys for
20,000 lira each.
- Pinocchio and the children go on a roller-coaster ride
and they all turn into donkeys, apart from Pinocchio.
- Pinocchio tells the other children about the ride, before
a donkey kicks Lorenzini into the fountain. Lorenzini
turns into a donkey and all of the children run away.
- Leonna finds Pinocchio, and she tells him that Geppetto
went into the lake to look for him. Pinocchio goes out in
a boat looking for Geppetto.
- Pinocchio is swallowed by a whale, where he finds
Geppetto. Pinocchio's nose grows when he lies to Geppetto
which allows them to escape.
- Geppetto and Pinocchio find Leonna on the beach, and
Pinocchio turns into a real boy.
- Pinocchio finds Felinet and Volpe, and tells them that if
they drink from the fountain then a rock will turn into