In The Lap Of The Gods
The Queen Phenomenon
First broadcast in 1995 to coincide with the release of 'Made In Heaven'.
Later broadcast on 13 March 2000 on Channel 5 as part of 'Queen For A Day'.
Length 55 minutes.
Produced by Jim Beach and Rudi Dolezal
Directed by Rudi Dolezal and Hannes Rossacher
Written by Simon Witter
This programme is essentially a TV edit of the 'Champions Of The World' video, with some sections edited partially or completely. However, some elements have been moved, some additional footage has been added, and it now has a narrator. The content is as follows, with rare footage shown in red:
- Excerpt of 'Queen Talks' (the B-side interview compilation), with footage of Queen travelling
- Looped excerpt of 'Innuendo' with various clips of Queen and Freddie Singalongs
- Excerpt of 'In The Lap Of The Gods.... Revisited', with opening titles and footage of Queen
- Interviews with Roger, John, Brian and Freddie
- Excerpt of 'Mother Love', with footage of Queen from 1986 to 1973
- Footage of Smile at the Royal Albert Hall, with excerpt of 'April Lady', and interviews with Brian, Roger, Freddie and David Bowie about Smile and the formation of Queen
- Excerpt of 'Seven Seas Of Rhye', early footage of Queen, and interview with John
- Excerpt of 'My Fairy King', further early footage, interview with Roger, and footage of Brighton Rock (Earl's Court 1977)
- Interview with Brian and clip of Killer Queen (Earl's Court 1977), promo video of 'You're My Best Friend', and interviews with Freddie and John
- Clip of 'Spread Your Wings', interviews with Roger and Freddie, and clips of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' (promo video) and Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Concert Of Kampuchea, 1979)
- Interview with John and footage of Hammer To Fall (Rock In Rio, 1985)
- Interviews with Roger and Brian, footage of We Will Rock You (Live Aid 1985), and interview with Gerry Stickells (tour manager)
- Footage of 'I Want To Break Free' (Wembley 1986), interview with Freddie, and footage of 'Radio Ga Ga' (Knebworth 1986), and further interview with Gerry Stickells
- Clip of Queen receiving an award for 'Top Band Of The Eighties'
- Excerpt of 'Action This Day', footage from the 'Breakthru' video, and interview with John
- Footage of 'The Miracle', interviews with Brian and Roger, original 'The Miracle' casting tapes, and interview with the young Freddie
- Interview with Freddie, 'making of' and video footage of 'I'm Going Slightly Mad', and interview with Roger
- Footage of 'These Are The Days Of Our Lives', and interviews with Brian and Roger
- News coverage and reports of Freddie's death (with a slow piano version of 'You Take My Breath Away'), footage of Freddie's funeral, and interview with Peter Freestone [Freddie's personal assistant]
- Excerpt of 'You Take My Breath Away', with footage of Freddie over the years and short interview clips
- Footage of Brian and Roger, announcing the tribute at the Brit Awards, 1992
- Footage of rehearsals at Bray Studios, interview with David Bowie, and footage of 'Under Pressure' from rehearsals and concert
- Footage of rehearsals and concert performance of many tracks, including 'I Want It All', 'Hammer To Fall', 'These Are The Days Of Our Lives' and 'We Are The Champions'
- Interview with Slash and rehearsal footage of 'Tie Your Mother Down'.
- Interviews with Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey, footage of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' from the concert, and interview with Elton John
- Rehearsal footage of 'Who Wants To Live Forever' and interview with Seal
- Excerpt of 'Cool Cat' with footage of many performers before the concert
- Interview with Roger, and footage of Freddie Singalong (Live Aid, 1985) as shown at the concert
- Footage of Elizabeth Taylor's speech, footage of 'Somebody To Love' from the concert, and interview with George Michael
- Footage of 'We Are The Champions' from the concert, interviews with Brian and Roger, and backstage footage of memorabilia signing
- Interview with Anne Mayer from the Mercury Phoenix Trust
- Excerpt of 'Seaside Rendezvous' with footage of Queen conventions, interview with Jacky Smith, and excerpt of 'Don't Stop Me Now'
- Excerpt of 'I'm Going Slightly Mad' and footage of a fan look-a-like
- Interview with Roger, excerpt of 'We Are The Champions' with sporting footage, and interviews with Brian
- Excerpt of 'We Will Rock You' (Knebworth, 1986) and more sporting footage
- Interview with Roger, excerpt of 'Another One Bites The Dust', and footage of America
- Interviews with Bhashkar Menon (former president of EMI/Capitol records) and Roger, and longer clip of 'Under Pressure' (Saturday Night Live, 1982)
- Interviews with Jim Beach and Mike Myers, with footage from 'Wayne's World' and the modified video of 'Bohemian Rhapsody', and further interview with Bhashkar Menon,
- Excerpt of 'Mother Love', interview with David Richards, and footage of Queen's studio and Montreux
- Interview with Jim Beach and excerpt of 'Heaven For Everyone', with footage of Montreux
- Interview with Brian and excerpt of 'Too Much Love Will Kill You', with further Montreux footage
- Excerpt of 'A Winter's Tale' and further footage of Montreux
- Excerpt of 'Heaven For Everyone', with interview snippets from Freddie, and credits