'The Rock Quiz, Fact And Trivia Book' Quiz Answers
1. What was the name of the group, initially formed by
guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor, before Queen was
2. What was Freddie Mercury's real name?
3. Which 1974 single became the band's first UK hit single?
Seven Seas Of Rhye
4. Who was the band's flamboyant producer throughout most of the
5. What did Brian May build his own trademark guitar from?
An old fireplace
6. In what subject did John Deacon graduate from University?
7. Which band did Queen support on their first UK tour in 1973?
Mott The Hoople
8. What forced the band to abandon their first US tour in 1974?
Guitarist Brian May collapsed with Hepatitis and later developed
9. Which album featured the singles Now I'm Here and Killer
Sheer Heart Attack
10. Which album, named after a Marx Brothers film, did the band
record in 1975, using 6 different studios?
A Night At The Opera
11. And which single from the album became the first to be widely
promoted by an accompanying video?
12. And which DJ had forced the record companies to release the
overlong track, by repeatedly playing it on his Capital Radio
13. Which member of the band wrote the second single taken from
the album, You're My Best Friend?
Bassist John Deacon
14. What was the title of the band's 1976 album, also named after
a Marx Brothers film, which featured the single Good Old
A Day At The Races
15. Which member of the group became the first to release a solo
record, with I Wanna Testify?
Drummer Roger Taylor
16. Which artist's 1976 album, All American Alien Boy, did Brian
May, Freddie Mercury and Roger Taylor guest on?
17. Which gospel flavoured single reached no. 13 in the US charts
Somebody To Love
18. Which double A-side, released in November 1977, reached no. 2
in the UK charts?
We Are The Champions / We Will Rock You
19. And which album was the single taken from?
News Of The World
20. Which skiffle artist's 1978 comeback album, Puttin' On The
Style, featured guest guitar work by Brian May?
21. From 1978, in which Swiss town did the band start recording
all their material?
22. Which double A-side, released in 1978, reached no. 11 in the
Bicycle Race / Fat Bottomed Girls
23. And which album did the single come from?
24. And why was the artwork on the gatefold sleeve of the album
changed after it's initial release?
It featured naked women riding bicycles, like the cover of the
Bicycle Race / Fat Bottomed Girls single, and was changed to
prevent retailers insisting on selling it in a brown paper bag
25. What was the title of the band's 1979 live album double set?
26. And which song, taken from the album, reached no. 63 in the
UK singles chart?
Love Of My Life
27. Which rockabilly style single, taken from the 1980 album The
Game, reached no. 2 in the UK charts?
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
28. And which single, also from The Game and written by bass
player John Deacon, became the band's second no. 1 US single?
Another One Bites The Dust
29. Which 1980 science fiction film did Queen provide the
30. Under which category were Queen the first rock band to be
listed in the 1980 Guinness Book Of Records?
In a list of Britain's highest paid executives
31. What was the title of drummer Roger Taylor's 1981 solo album,
featuring the single Future Management?
Fun In Space
32. Released in 1981, for how many weeks was Queen's Greatest
Hits in the UK album charts?
At least 529 weeks
33. Which solo artist did Queen record the song Under Pressure
with in 1981, which reached no. 1 in the UK singles chart?
34. And with the success of this single, and their Greatest Hits
album, what feat did Queen become the first band to achieve?
They were the first band to be at the top of the UK single, album
and video charts simultaneously
35. What was the title of the band's dance-based album, released
36. Which single, written by Roger Taylor, reached no. 2 in the
UK charts in 1984, and set a record for the band, with all 4
members now having written a top 10 song?
Radio Ga Ga
37. And which album featured this single, along with I Want To
Break Free and It's A Hard Life?
38. What was the title of Freddie Mercury's first solo single,
released in 1984?
39. And which film had the song been taken from?
40. Which film soundtrack featured Queen's 1985 single One
41. Which song, taken from the 1986 film Highlander, reached no.
3 in the UK chart?
A Kind Of Magic
42. What was the name of the band formed by Roger Taylor in 1987,
in which he played the guitar?
43. With which opera singer did Freddie Mercury duet on the 1987
44. Which album, released in 1989, featuring the singles I Want
It All and The Invisible Man?
45. What was the title of the band's 1991 single, which became
the third longest UK no. 1 single, at 6 minutes and 32 seconds?